Friday 7 August 2015

Bendigo Writers Festival- G 'n' Tea Show

Well, what a day. I knew it was going to be good, but I  didn't realize it would be amazing.
From the 'Welcoming and opening' session this morning to the 'G 'n' Tea' poetry session this evening, every moment was full of passionate reflection and inspiration.

I would like to talk about the 'G 'n' Tea' session I attended this evening. I am not generally a follower of poetry, I don't read it, I don't write it and I don't listen to it, however I do appreciate music and I guess in a way they can be one and the same. When I arrived to the session, I was greeted by a small yet cosy group of fellow students, poets and poetry admirers; many seated with wine in hand waiting with anticipation for the introduction of three wonderfully talented poets.

Gena Mclean, the lively and lovely host of the evening, seated in her brightly coloured arm chair opens the session with enthusiasm and goes on to introduce her first guest John Holton. John has published many news and magazine articles but his real passion lies in the form of short poems which he creatively displays in his tiny, handmade poetry books, which, might I add, are absolutely gorgeous.

The beautiful Bronwyn Lovell is introduced next, Bronwyn speaks so thoughtfully, it isn't just the words she says but the way she says them that draws the viewer and listener in. She also brought 90% of the audience to tears with her reading of  "Dogs death" by John Updike, I am quite sure I let out a sob and had the tears flowing down my cheeks, as did everyone beside me. I am also quite sure she has a number of crushes in the audience now, myself and the girl I was sitting next to included, not because of the dead dog poem, but because she was just absolutely lovely.

Bruce Oakman is the third person introduced to the audience, he takes his seat and listens intently as each person takes their turn, expressing their ideas and poems. He takes us through his poems and the poems he enjoys.

What I enjoyed most about this session was being introduced to poetry again, as I earlier mentioned I never read it and haven't since I had to when I was in primary school. But even then, it was the classic poems by Henry Lawson or Banjo Patterson, pages of poetry, not the short but sweet poems that I got a taste of this evening. Listening to the speakers tonight, along with acoustic sounds provided by the two person band, I could relax and appreciate poetry in its finest form spoken by some of the finest poets I have been introduced to and I look forward to the next 'G'n'Tea session at the next Bendigo Writers Festival.



No comments:

Post a Comment